Thanksgiving

photo-188

I’m going to make it short tonight, because I want to just spend the last bits of this evening not reflecting on the days and events that have unfolded recently.

First and foremost, Willa’s MRI results came back and we were told that she has no tumors or growths in or on her brain! Such a praise! After she had just come out of sedation and I was feeding her, Steven nudged me to ask the Lord specifically that there wouldn’t be anything more found in the MRI(this was hours before we were given any results). I started crying. “I’m scared to ask!” …I know that literally hundreds of people have been praying for our sweet Willa. In boldness there are masses going to the throne and pleading with Him for specifics. And I was scared to ask. But, it only took my husband’s nudging to prompt me toย ask Abba Father for what was truly on my heart. I want prayer to always feel like climbing up onto His lap and wrapping my arms around his neck. I think it starts with not fearing to tell Him the desires of our hearts.

I don’t want to overlook how incredible it is and how amazing it feels to know the MRI results and be surrounded by the warm hug of an answered prayer. I really want to let the relief sink in and be saturated by His goodness, overcome with thankfulness. Thank you for praying with us! Thank you for asking boldly of the King, even if some of you were scared to approach Him with specific pleads. Thank you!

Tomorrow morning at 7:30 am Central time, Willa will be in surgery to have her eye removed. I don’t know what much else to say, because I don’t know what to expect. On the one hand, I’m extremely grateful that the tumor will be gone….and on the other, I am mourning the loss of her beautiful eye and already worrying about how long it might possibly take me to get over myself and my discomfort. I want to immediately be so familiar with Willa’s new change that I don’t even flinch for a second.

After the tumor is removed it will be tested for genetic purposes, as well as to make sure the cancer has not spread elsewhere. This was new news to us. The MRI didn’t show any other tumors, but it did tell us that the tumor she does have is so big that it is right on the line, just big enough to raise a red flag. They have to make sure it didn’t cross the “eye boundary”…..This is the most sense I can make out of what Willa’s doctor was saying. From what I understood today, there’s a 50% chance the cancer has spread and if it has, Willa will have to start chemo. There’s also a 50% chance the cancer is contained within her right eye and once it’s removed we just keep returning to St. Jude for exams to check for any future growths.

We won’t find out what pathology finds in the tumor for about a week after tomorrow’s surgery. We will have returned to Johnson City by then, so we will receive a phone ย call with these results. More waiting….

God threw us over a huge hurdle today and I want to rest in thanksgiving. Grace, thanksgiving, joy. Eucharisteo.

17 thoughts on “Thanksgiving

1. Sarah says:

Oh, little Willa. That is such good news! Tomorrow will be bizarre to say the least, but she is in the best hands. Do they put the prosthetic eye in right away? I’ll be praying for you both, and for Willa, and for her doctors/nurses/everyone…

2. Gail Smith says:

The Smiths are praying with you every step of the way~~we feel God’s miraculous presence.
    –Dallas, Gail, Jake & Katherine

3. Lynette Horton says:

i am a friend if Angie Carlsons. I live in Memphis. Please contact me via email so I can give you my phone number. I can help out if you need anything! Do not heaitate to ask! Gods family has to stick together!!!!

4. siennasdad says:

Prayers for Willa, her mom and dad, and the entire realm of family and friends. You have already embraced Phil. 4:6,7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

My prayer is that Willa will be embraced in love AND treated like she would be if this had never happened, so that she will move forward in her life (in Philippians!) and be a bold testimony of Phil. 4:13…I (Willa) can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Grace, peace, and Blessings.

5. Nancy Vernon says:

Please know my thoughts & prayers are with you all! Am being blessed and encouraged when reading your blog! God’s grace is truly amazing! Love & hugs

6. Cara says:

Looked at my clock just now and realized she’s probably in surgery right now, so thought I’d comment to let you know I’m praying for your sweet girl, you and your family, and her medical team. I wish you all peace and comfort on this difficult day.

7. crazy4smiths says:

Psalms 91:1 Willa, who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, is under the shadow of the Almighty.

Thank you so much for the word of your testimony. As I read ‘thanksgiving’, facing fears of our own as a family facing cancer, I’m reminded how powerful an example it is to fight our trials with God, the Most High, in the forefront of our battle and face our circumstances with the back drop of the cross in our minds eye.

He’s fighting for us friend. The multitudes praying are prime examples of Moses rod being lifted by his companions, Aaron and Hur, during battle! Bravo fearless prayer warriors!!! Keep fighting for this precious babe and her weary family. May no weapon formed against Willa prosper as a child of the Most High because this is her inheritance as a child of the King.